Protect personal and commercial belongings even when they’re stored out of sight.
There are times in life when you need to take a self storage unit and store some of your personal items off your property. For example, you could be moving house and need to rent a self-storage unit for a temporary period of time. Or, you could be moving in with your significant other and both of you may need to store some personal belongings until you can figure out whether you have space for everything. Or, you may want to store items of particular value off-property. Whatever the reason, when you rent a self-storage unit, you need to remember one important thing: Storage insurance.
Self-storage insurance is compulsory at many storage facilities, as a result many companies offer insurance in-house, but you can also buy private or independent storage insurance. Surewise.com offers affordable domestic and commercial storage insurance for short- and long-term rentals. Our storage unit insurance prices start at just £0.78 per week*.
Key Benefits of our Domestic & Commercial Self-Storage Insurance
Our self-storage insurance covers you against loss or damage to stored contents in the event of:
- Natural disasters, including lightning, earthquake, storm, flood and weight of snow
- Fire and explosion
- Leaking water/liquid from fixed water tanks and pipes
- Theft and attempted theft, with proof of violent breaking and entering (e.g. broken lock)
- Falling trees, telegraph poles and lamp posts
- Collision by any vehicle or animal
- Impact by aircraft and other flying devices or items dropped from flying aircraft
- Rioters, violent disorders, strikes, labour disturbances, civil commotion and malicious acts
We will replace or repair any stored items damaged. Repair or replacement will be at our discretion.
Self Storage Insurance Cover
Insurance is based on an average cost estimate; for example, £1 per £1000 worth of contents. So it’s very important to give an accurate estimate of the pound value of the goods stored. If you underestimate the value of your goods to get a cheaper rate, you will lose out if any damage does actually occur.
What is covered by storage insurance?
Storage contents insurance covers home and business contents, including:
- Computer and electronic office equipment
- Deeds, registered bonds, and other personal documents up to £1,000
- Household furnishings, furniture, carpets, curtains, and home appliances, including gas and electric cookers and telephone equipment
- Machinery, stock, tools, and plant
- Pedal cycles up to £1,000 per cycle
- Personal possessions
- Stamp, coin, and other collections up to £1,000
- Valuables up to £1,000
What’s not covered
- Your policy doesn’t cover any type of currency, including money, coins, bullion, credit/debit cards, lottery tickets and vouchers.
- Your policy doesn’t cover dangerous items, including explosives, flammable contents and fire arms and ammunition.
There are many different types of storage facility in the UK and it’s important to be aware of several factors that we consider necessary for storage providers to meet as a minimum requirement.
1. This location is purpose built and is of substantial construction
2. The company managing the facility are solely involved in storing goods (rather than storage facilities from running farms and other haulage locations)
3. It has 24 hour cctv and fire alarms
4. Secure reception area and controlled access to storage areas
5. Staff on premises at all times when open
You can rest assured that with our self storage insurance policy, your personal belongings (from surplus toasters and cooking sets to family signet rings) are well covered against damage and theft.
We constantly compare our rates and coverage with other insurance companies to make sure we provide the highest level of cover and marketing leading prices.
*The lowest price for 12 months cover is £40.56 or just 78p a week