What Does Home Emergency Insurance Actually Cover?
What is home emergency insurance – and what does it actually cover? In this article, we’re addressing exactly what a home emergency policy is, what you’ll be covered for, and if home emergency insurance is worth it..
Many people take out home insurance, which can cover the following:
- Buildings insurance – Covers the structure of your property and permanent fixtures/fittings
- Contents insurance – Covers all items on your property
- Both of the above
Your home insurance policy will cover you against things like fire, flooding, or theft – but it won’t be there to help you get a burst pipe fixed or repair your central heating unit.
That’s what your home emergency insurance is for.
Home emergency insurance provides you with a 24/7 emergency helpline to cover the costs and ease the hassle when faced with a home emergency.
What does home emergency insurance cover?
Home emergency insurance covers you for things such as:
- The complete failure of your gas boiler
- Burst or leaking pipes
- Blocked drains or sewers causing damage to your home
- Inoperable toilets with a complete loss of function
- Failure of your mains services (water, gas, electricity)
- Wasp, mice, and rat infestations
- Water damage to the roofing
- Break-ins or vandalism that compromises the security of your home
Essentially, a home emergency insurance policy counts emergencies as anything that will make your home unsafe or vulnerable to thieves, will cause permanent damage to your home, or risks your health and wellbeing.
Is home emergency cover worth it?
Some home insurance policies will cover you for home emergencies – but most won’t.
It’s always a good idea to check your existing policies in case they cover you for emergencies, but in most cases, you’ll need an additional policy. For that reason, home emergency insurance is a worthwhile expense, giving you the peace of mind that should a pipe burst or your heating fail, you can get it repaired in no time.
To find out more and to get a quote for home emergency insurance for your home, check out our page here.