When you’re a student, you’re likely to find yourself moving houses more often than you have a good night’s sleep!
Rather than attempt to cram everything you own in your car and drag it back to your parents’ house before moving into your next home, renting a self storage unit in your university town is a convenient and cost-effective solution for many students.
Storage Insurance For Students
When summer approaches and you find yourself faced with a few months’ gap between having to move out of your old house and into your new one, having a storage unit nearby means you can take as many trips as you need to safely store your belongings for the summer – leaving you (and your parents’ house!) free to enjoy the summer without worrying about where all of your things will go.
When it comes to storage insurance, some students shy away from this extra cost in an attempt to save money – but storage insurance is actually an essential way to save money on storage costs.
Why do I need storage insurance as a student?
You may think that your belongings aren’t valuable enough to get insurance for, but our storage insurance has no excess, providing cover for any value of items up to £50,000, with a single item limit of £7,500. Even just storing things like furniture and kitchen appliances can add up in value altogether, and the cost of replacing these items can be financially devastating for a student – so covering these items with an insurance policy gives you that peace of mind should any incidents happen while they’re in storage.
What’s more, most legitimate storage facilities will state that having storage insurance for your unit is a mandatory requirement. However, often times, you will end up paying a much higher insurance premium when shopping directly with a storage facility – so doing your research into third party providers (such as Surewise!) is a sensible way to save money on your policy.
Why Choose Surewise?
We pride ourselves on offering storage insurance an average of 3 times cheaper than premiums offered directly by storage providers.*
*According to research conducted in July 2019 by Proinsight, 99% of customers save money with our storage contents insurance policies compared to the policies provided by storage providers, excluding special offers.
The Telegraph Money conducted an independent investigation that revealed many storage customers were charged up to seven times more than the normal rate for insurance, with others being charged more for insurance than the value of the unit itself – so students in particular can benefit by shopping around for insurance.
Other reasons to shop with us include:
- No excess or hidden fees
- Receive your certificate immediately
- UK-based call centre
- No renewal price rises
- Cover starts from as little as £0.50p per week
- Policies can be tailored to suit your storage duration, budget, value of contents, and specific items
Cover for home and business contents, including:
- Computer and electronic office equipment
- Deeds, registered bonds and other personal documents up to £1,000
- Household furnishings, furniture, carpets, curtains, and home appliances, including gas and electric cookers and telephone equipment
- Pedal cycles up to £1,000 per cycle
- Machinery, stock, tools, and plant
- Personal possessions
- Stamp collections and coin collections, with proof of ownership and providence up to £1,000
- Valuables up to £1,000
Loss or damage to stored contents in the event of:
- Natural disasters, including lightning, earthquake, storm, flood and weight of snow
- Fire and explosion
- Leaking water/liquid from fixed water tanks and pipes
- Theft and attempted theft, with proof of violent breaking and entering (e.g. broken lock)
- Falling trees, telegraph poles and lamp posts
- Collision by a vehicle or animal
- impact by aircraft and other flying devices or items dropped from flying aircraft
- Rioters, violent disorders, strikes, labour disturbances, civil commotion and malicious acts
What’s not covered?
Please have a look at this section because, sadly, we cannot cover everything
- Your policy doesn’t cover any type of currency, including money, coins, bullion, credit/debit cards, lottery tickets and vouchers.
- Your policy doesn’t cover dangerous items, including explosives, flammable contents and firearms and ammunition.
- Personal or Commercial Possessions not stored in a purpose built storage unit which has CCTV and fire alarms.
- Personal or Commercial Possessions stored in wooden crates.