Home Insurance

Take Care Of Your Home & Possessions
  • Simple Online Quote
  • Policies provided by SAGIC
  • The Salvation Army General Insurance Corporation

Buildings and Contents Home Insurance

What is Buildings & Contents Home Insurance?

It doesn’t matter whether you live in a four-bedroom house in the country or a two-bedroom flat in the city. It doesn’t matter whether you live in the property you own or rent it to long-term tenants, students or holidaymakers. All that matters is if you own property you need home insurance. Home insurance comes in two types: Buildings insurance and Contents insurance. Insurance providers usually offer them as two separate policies, as well as a joint package, so you can choose the option that suits your needs and budget.

Contents and buildings insurance cover is designed to provide protection on 2 levels:

  1. The building structures on your property
  2. The furnishings, appliances, furniture, gadgets, clothes, books and DVDs in your house, garage or shed.

Home insurance comparison

There are many websites that offer home insurance comparisons in the UK, including buildings and household contents policy comparisons. They are convenient because you can quickly and easily get several quotes online. However, if you’re going to use an online insurance comparison site, choose one that has a good reputation for delivering reliable and transparent home insurance deals. This is in addition to getting the best quotes from insurance companies in the UK, of course.

We have partnered with SAGIC, The Salvation Army General Insurance Corporation to underwrite many of our products and are proud to partner with them to provide you with a competitive home insurance quote.  All of SAGIC’s profits are returned to The Salvation Army to help people in need, so you can be sure you have an ethical, trustworthy underwriter and also know that your policy will help others, whilst staying highly competitively priced.

Bear in mind that different insurers offer different levels of cover with different standard benefits, optional extras and exclusions. You have to compare home insurance deals on a holistic level before deciding which cover to buy.

Let’s take a closer look at what buildings and contents insurance include.

What is Buildings Insurance?

Buildings insurance covers the structures (walls, roof, garage, driveway, fences, shed) on your property and permanent fixtures and fittings (bathroom and kitchen fittings) in your home. Mortgage providers usually require buildings cover. So you’ll need it either as part of a combined policy (for homeowners) or as a standalone policy (for landlords).

Buildings insurance is designed to cover repairs and partial or complete rebuilds after a disaster. Disasters covered usually include storms, floods, subsidence (ground sinking), fire and vandalism.

What is Contents Insurance?

Contents insurance covers all items on the property, including garden furniture, clothes, jewellery, DVDs, CDs, books, computers, appliances, bicycles, money in the home, any tools in the garage or shed and even freezer contents. Contents-only policies are good for tenants who don’t have to worry about the structure of the house or flat they live in.

Buildings & contents policies

Joint policies are best suited to those who live in the homes they own or who rent furnished or partly furnished houses or flats.

You can compare buildings and contents insurance policies on Surewise.com, all you have to do is answer some basic questions on the type of property you own; for example, the number of rooms and the type of roof (slate, thatch, tiles, shingles). It helps us to know if your property is currently undergoing building work, is your main residence and if it has ever suffered from any natural disaster, such as flooding. The more accurate the information you give us, the more accurate the price estimate for home insurance we can provide.