Respite for Carers: How to Get a Break
Thanks to our Thank a Carer initiative, we’ve had the opportunity to interact with hundreds of carers around the UK – and one of the most common things we hear back from the community is that carers would appreciate a break over anything else.
Being a carer can be hard work, and many people are carers on top of having other responsibilities such as a job or caring for a family. Respite for carers means a short break, giving you time away from your caring duties to make sure you are taking care of yourself.
In this article, we’re going to cover a few ways you can find a break as a carer.
Different types of respite you could take:
Getting a break as a carer can mean a number of different things. Here are just a few different types of respite you could get as a carer:
- Simply taking part in activities outside the home (or organising for the person you care for to do activities away from the home)
- The person you care for having a temporary stay in a care home
- Taking a holiday (perhaps with the person you care for, or without)
- Organising for additional carers or personal assistants to help provide replacement care to give you more time for yourself.
Ways to arrange respite for carers:
If you or someone you know is in need of support for their caring duties, one of the first things you should do is to ask for a carer’s assessment from your local council.
A carer’s assessment will look at the support you need as a carer, which can include breaks on a regular basis so it’s definitely worth looking into. You could also get in touch with your local carers service, as they may be able to provide more information about how to take a break with support near you.
Other ways you can arrange respite include:
– Paying for respite, using a carers service to arrange temporary replacement care or for the person you care for to take a short break in a care home
– Talk to your friends or family about taking a short break
Being a carer is hard work, and at Surewise our key initiative is to help our customers live confidently. We provide monthly and annual carers insurance to cover you against the unexpected incidents that can occur around the workplace.
Click here to find out more and get a quote today.