What is a home electrical automation system?
A home automation system allows you to operate any electrically operated device in your home, through a single easy to use touch panel. This means that sitting in your bedroom, you could do any of the following:
- Control the heating and air-conditioning
- Remotely change the channel on your high-definition TV
- Draw the curtains/blinds in the living room
- Pre-start the shower
- Check that your electronic home security system is enabled
- Use the ‘mood lighting’ option to change the lighting as per your requirement (for instance, for reading, watching TV).
What’s more, given the popularity of smart phones today, many home-automation service providers have developed applications that allow you to control the various electrical devices in your home through your mobile phone – for example dedicated central heating apps.
High-end home automation systems also allow you to program your user preferences as per the time of the day. For example, using day light sensors, the home automation can draw the blinds when there is direct sunlight in the room. Not surprising then that homes with these central automation systems are often called ‘smart homes’.
Benefits of an electrical automation system
Everyone can benefit from home automation:
Convenience: One of the key benefits of a home automation systems is the convenience of being able to control anything from anywhere in the house.
Reduced energy bills: When you have a single control panel for all the electrical devices in your home, it becomes that much easier to ensure that devices not in use are turned-off. Another example of energy saving is being able to program the central heating temperature in your house as per the time of day.
Feel of luxury: A mid- or high-end home automation system is certainly something that will impress visitors to your house. Use the mood lighting option to set the mood for a great evening of entertaining friends or when having a romantic date at home.
Cost of installing a home automation system
The cost of installing automation system will depend on the type of system you install
- DIY systems: There are some relatively low cost do-it-yourself (DIY) installation systems. These start from £100 for a single device, and go up to £2,000 for a multiple rooms.
- Mid-range: These systems control all the main devices in your home – music system, television, lighting and CCTV. These range from £5,000 to £25,000.
- Smart home systems: These luxury home automation systems are priced between £50,000 and £100,000. You can control almost any device in your home through these high-end systems.