How to Prevent Injury and Accidents as a Carer in the Workplace
Injuries are a high risk for many carers, with lifting and other hazards presenting a risk if proper techniques and methods are not learned. Before learning how to avoid injuries, it’s important to recognise where these risks present themselves in your day as a carer.
Many carers assist the person they care for with getting in and out of bed, washing, using the toilet, as well as doing ordinary manual tasks such as laundry and carrying shopping. As a result, back injuries are amongst the most common in carers. In fact, it is estimated that musculoskeletal injuries are as a result of living in up to 52% of caregivers.
How to Lift Safely
To reduce your risk of a back injury, learning how to properly lift is essential. A few key things to bear in mind include:
- Keep both feet stable, and stand close to the person you are lifting.
- Bend your knees (not your back) and squat in preparation to lift, keeping your abdominals in and your back straight.
- Face the person you are lifting and point our feet towards them to prevent your back from bending too much as you lift.
- Always lift using a smooth motion, pushing with your leg muscles first.
As well as learning how to lift correctly as a carer, there are also tools and equipment you can use to assist you and the person you care for on a daily basis.
A few tools you may find useful to reduce the strain on you can include:
- Installing shower benches and chairs for bath use
- Grab bars and toilet seat risers for use in the bathroom
- Using hoists and lifts to get in and out of bed if the person you care for can
As a caregiver, it can be easy to put the needs of the person you care for over yourself. However, maintaining your own safety and comfort is just as important to ensure you stay free from injuries and able to carry out your daily tasks without pain.
Focus on learning how to lift properly to protect your back in particular, and consider what tools you could use around the house to help you with your responsibilities.
At Surewise.com, protecting our customers is our core mission. That’s why we provide Carers Insurance to cover you against the risks you may face in your workplace.
Available in both monthly and annual plans, get your Carers Insurance quote today so you can start living life confidently.